7 BIG ITAD trends from IAITAM ACE 2022
Posted in Blog
IAITAM ACE 2022 focused on the burgeoning opportunities and responsibilities of IT asset management in a post-COVID reality. ITADs, asset managers and software solution providers gathered to exchange ideas and insights into how to manage hardware, software and, of course, the explosion of data in our all-new work architecture.
After a two-year pandemic hiatus, the IT asset management buzz at the IAITAM ACE Conference focused on these new and complex challenges:
- IT hardware self-pack and ship programs. Also called Box programs, Box Kit programs, Distributed Retrieval programs and Take Back programs, the function is the same: get company hardware back from offsite employees. At multiple IAITAM ACE forums, presenters and asset managers shared their difficulties with incentivization programs, live data risks, packing, overpacking, logistics and IT asset value retention. There is a growing demand for customized IT self-pack and ship programs that address ITdepartments’ asset return needs, device value, ownership, residential and commercial logistics, overall program management and multiple disposition pathways.
- ESG. ESG. ESG. Nearly every IAITAM session touched upon or focused on the growing importance of company-driven environmental and safety governance initiatives. While there is no defined ESG rating or ranking system (yet), companies are increasingly examining how they, their vendors and subcontractors are making definitive headway in social and environmental thoughtfulness and actions.
- Certified B Corporation is paralleling ESG efforts to promote socially and environmentally aware and responsible companies. Unlike ESG, B corporation certification of a for-profit company is a rubber stamp for meeting the high standards of verified performance, accountability, and transparency on factors from employee benefits and charitable giving to supply chain practices and input materials.
- R2V3 is finally here. Yes, it’s complex but the updated standard is designed to raise the bar for every entity involved in the circular recycling process. No longer an all or none certification, businesses can focus on appendices that are most relevant to their own participation within IT asset lifecycle management and processing. R2V3 includes emphasizes reuse and data protection, clarified expectations and requirements and strengthened processes in EHS.
- Logistics is under the microscope. Whether it’s shred that’s headed for recycling, secure transport of hardware with live data or retrieving IT assets from stay-at-home employees, logistics is a crucial link in the chain of custody process. IT Asset Managers are looking for process transparency, flexibility, customized options, excellent, consistent and constant communication, software solutions, vetted, reputable partners and impeccable documentation as their goods are moved from A to B exactly as specified.
- Staffing. Skilled and general labor shortages are affecting everything from turnaround time, pricing to quality. Every participant in the circular economy is looking for efficiencies while reevaluating processes, SLAs and costs.
- Complexity is growing. You are unlikely to be surprised that as technology gets smaller and more data is exchanged through the cloud and expanded IoT capabilities, chasing, tracing, finding and destroying data has become exponentially more difficult and time-consuming. And it’s just one part of IT Asset Management and EOL planning. IAITAM attendees re-emphasized that their single-most driver is the prevention of a data breach through negligence or ignorance.
Got data? Guardian’s Brendan O’Byrne, Enterprise Services Manager, led a practical conference session to help IT asset managers reduce risk by increasing their data discovery and destruction accuracy by “flipping their thinking”.Request a copy of his IAITAM ACE 2022 presentation>
The role of IT Asset Manager is vital to any company’s brand and trust.
As the IAITAM conference hammered home again and again, IT asset management is demanding, expanding and increasingly complex. For Guardian, our relationships with our ITAD clients and their ITAM clients made the annual event more than a genuinely warm reunion. Exchanging ideas, meeting face-to-face and focusing on needs, surprises, solutions and the evolution of the industry were just a kick-off of a post-COVID reality for ITAD partners.
If you have any questions or feedback about our ITAD services trendspotting, reach out to us. Or see our short event slide show below!
Email us to help you find a VAR or ITAD>
Got data? Our job is to ensure it’s destroyed>
We also recommned
Protected: The difference between IT Asset Logistics versus Shipping (and why it’s important when moving high value assets from A to B).
There is no excerpt because this is a protected post.
What is white glove packing for IT assets?
When you request white glove packing for laptops, monitors and other IT equipment, don’t expect actual white gloves. Instead, look for the special care and …
The most common questions about packing and shipping IT assets
Guardian’s data destruction services were the evolution of a transportation and logistics company specialized in the transport of new and used IT assets. Today, Guardian …
Stay in the know
Get relevant information right in your inbox
We do not sell or share your information with anyone